About the Skoll MBA scholarship:
The Skoll MBA scholarship is a competitive scholarship for incoming MBA students who pursue entrepreneurial solutions for urgent social and environmental challenges. The MBA scholarship provides funding and exclusive opportunities to meet with world-renowned entrepreneurs, thought leaders and investors. Once selected, these students are known as Skoll Skollers
The Skoll MBA scholarship provides tuition for entrepreneurs who have set up or have been working in an entrepreneurial venture with a social purpose, and who wish to improve their knowledge of market-oriented practices so they can be more effective in their subsequent social change pursuit.
The scholarship is given in recognition that the MBA may represent a significant financial burden, particularly for those who have chosen to work in social ventures rather than commercial or public sectors.
Application Deadline: January 11, 2019
Offered annually? Yes
Eligibility countries: International
All the candidates are required to take the GMAT test for entry to Oxford’s MBA scholarship program.
A candidate whose first language is not English or who have not studied at an English speaking University are required to take either the TOEFL or IELTS test
Demonstration evidence of the need for financial support.
Who is qualified to apply? To be considered, you need to meet the following criteria.
- By the time the candidate apply for the MBA, they must have spent preferably at least 3 years either
- Starting and growing a c=social venture
- OR pursuing positive change as an impact career professional, i.e someone who has used entrepreneurial approaches to address the same social/environmental issue, with a clear core thread that unites his/her work.
- Or leading a major expansion of an existing social venture or program within an organization
In each of the above 3 cases, a student should be able to describe the outcome/impact that has been created as a result of their work.
- Candidate will have used entrepreneurial approaches to identify opportunities, taken action to positively shift the status quo, and produced the proven impact that contributes to rectifying unjust systems and practised in their chosen area of work
- Candidate must demonstrate evidence of personal qualities strongly resonating with entrepreneurial leadership, and illustrate how these have influenced their career path far. These qualities include:
- Single-mindedness and persistence in pursuit of a social/environmental benefit goal, including a willingness to face failure and start again.
- A bias towards action rather than a reflection on an issue and a willingness to apprentice with a problem if they are tackling a challenge they didn’t personally live;
- A tendency to explore the environment for opportunities and resources;
- A propensity to develop networks and draw upon their members to pursue mutual goals.
- Candidate must demonstrate how a business education can contribute to the wider development of their work. They will need to illustrate why a business degree at this stage of their career trajectory can help them amplify their impact.
- Candidate must demonstrate some evidence of their need for the scholarship. This may be exhibited, for example, in previous work experience or personal background which may self-funding the MBA a significant financial burden.
We recommend the following scholarships for you
- Scholarship America Dream Award
- ETH Zurich Excellence Masters Scholarships
- 2019 Faculty of Health Science Deans International Scholarship at the University of Sydney
- Japanese Government Scholarships for International Students
What are the benefits?
- The Skoll scholarship covers the full costs of college and tuition fees for the this MBA program at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. The scholarship also covers partial living expenses at least an additional £14,777
- In addition to financial support, the scholarship provides access to the Skoll Scholar community, a group of leaders who are positively impacting the world through innovation and systems change, as well as exclusive opportunities to meet with world-renowned entrepreneur, thought leaders, and investors.
How to Apply
In order to apply for the Skoll Scholarship, you first need to apply and be accepted onto the Said Business School’s MBA program. To be formally considered for a Skoll Scholarship, you need to state your interest in the “Scholarship” section of the MBA application form. Do this by checking the inbox next to “Skoll”. When your MBA application is submitted, the MBA admissions team will first access your application to ensure that you meet the academic requirements sought by the school. If you are accepted into the program, you will be sent an essay question that needs to be completed.